Simple Solutions to Common Discomforts
Eye Strain is an exposure that can be reduced by utilizing various techniques:
- Adjust the angle and/or position of the monitor.
- Adjust contrast and brightness controls.
- Position display screens perpendicular to windows.
- Reduce overhead lighting.
- Glare reducing filters may be effective.
- Clean the display screen often.
- Neck needs to be in a relaxed and neutral position.
- Relaxed and neutral position for your neck is at a 20 degree angle, downward slightly.
- To position neck correctly, user’s sight-line (eyes) should be at about ¾ high on the monitor or ¼ from the top of monitor.
- Most of the text is read at about the middle to lower half on the monitor.
- Shoulders need to stay relaxed in their natural position.
- Shoulders should be in a normal position; not elevated or pulled away from the body.
- Be careful of arm rests.
- Be careful of elbow position.
Arms, Wrists, and Hands
- Important to have forearms parallel to the floor.
- Elbows at 90 degrees.
- Wrists should be straight and neutral when using keyboard and mouse.
- Do not deviate the wrists’ position to the left or right.(ulnar or radial side of hand)
- Avoid resting wrists on hard surface or hard edge of desk.
- Wrists need to be supported by gel filled support.