The Department of Public Safety (DPS) is actively investigating the discovery of crude graffiti on a whiteboard in Shaw Hall. The graffiti, reported on Wednesday, Aug. 25, was described as offensive to the transgender community. It has since been removed.
“This behavior is disgusting, disappointing and inappropriate,” says DPS Chief Bobby Maldonado. “Syracuse University and the Department of Public Safety will not tolerate hate of any kind. We are working to identify the person or persons responsible for this behavior.”
Since the incident, the following actions have been taken:
- A canvass of the area has been completed
- Camera footage is being reviewed
- Services were offered to the impacted student
There are no suspects at this time, however, DPS continues to investigate this incident and implores anyone with information to contact DPS at 315.443.2224. Anonymous tips can be reported to DPS through the Silent Witness tool or the Rave Guardian mobile app.
The University recognizes how these incidents can affect individuals and communities. If you or someone you know has been affected by a bias incident, there are resources available to you:
- Support services are available at the Barnes Center at The Arch by calling 315.443.8000.
- To report a bias incident or to receive support, visit the Stop Bias website or call 315.443.3514 or email email@example.com.
- Additional resources and reporting information is available by contacting:
- Office of Equal Opportunity, Inclusion and Resolution Services: 315.443.4018, EqualOpp@syr.edu
- Center for International Services: 315.443.2457, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dean of Students Office: 315.443.4357, email@example.com
- Office of Multicultural Affairs: 315.443.0228, firstname.lastname@example.org
- LGBTQ Resource Center: 315.443.0228, email@example.com
- Disability Cultural Center: 315.443.0228, firstname.lastname@example.org