Syracuse University’s Department of Public Safety (DPS) is actively investigating a bias report that was submitted through the Stop Bias Portal on Tuesday, October 18. The reported incident allegedly occurred on the fourth floor in Flint Hall. According to the report, a racial slur was written on a whiteboard hanging on the door of a student’s room.
Upon receiving this report, DPS officers visited Flint Hall, at which time the student who reported the incident provided photos of the whiteboard in question. DPS officers proceeded to canvass the floor – speaking with several residents. Later, an additional canvass was performed by our detectives to speak with the remainder of the residents of the floor. Additionally, DPS has reviewed available video footage, and also notified the Syracuse Police Department and New York State Police.
“The Department continues to investigate this incident with urgency,” says Craig Stone, DPS chief and associate vice president. “Our team has conducted a thorough canvass of the floor and reviewed the video they could but due to camera positions, we have no leads at this time. If you, or anyone you know, witnessed this incident, we ask that you reach out to us right away.”
Anyone with information about this incident should contact DPS at 315.443.2224. Anonymous tips can be reported to DPS through the Silent Witness tool or the Orange Safe mobile app. Additionally, if you or someone you know has been affected by a bias incident, the following resources are available:
- Support services are available at the Barnes Center at The Arch by calling 315.443.8000.
- To report a bias incident or to receive support, visit the Stop Bias website or call 315.443.3514 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Additional resources are available by contacting the following:
- Office of Equal Opportunity, Inclusion and Resolution Services: 315.443.4018, EqualOpp@syr.edu
- Center for International Services: 315.443.2457, email@example.com
- Student Outreach and Retention – Support Services: 315.443.4357, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Multicultural Affairs: 315.443.0228, email@example.com
- Winnick Hillel Center for Jewish Life: 315.422.5082, firstname.lastname@example.org
- LGBTQ Resource Center: 315.443.0228, email@example.com
- Disability Cultural Center: 315.443.0228, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hendricks Chapel: 315.443.2901, email@example.com