Syracuse University’s Department of Public Safety (DPS) is actively investigating the discovery of antisemitic graffiti that was found on a desk in Watson Theater. A student made the report on Thursday, November 10. The student said that when they were at the same desk earlier in the week, there was no graffiti, leading them to believe that it was drawn sometime after Tuesday, November 8.
Upon receiving this report, DPS officers visited Watson Theater, at which time the drawing was no longer present. A DPS officer inspected the other desks and found no other graffiti. DPS is in the process of reviewing security camera footage from the area in and around Watson.
“The Department is working to find the individual responsible for this hateful, antisemitic graffiti,” says Craig Stone, DPS chief and associate vice president. “We have interviewed several individuals who were in Watson Theater, but have yet to identify any leads or additional information. We ask that anyone who may have information about this incident contact us immediately.”
Anyone with information about this incident should contact DPS at 315.443.2224. Anonymous tips can be reported to DPS through the Silent Witness tool or the Orange Safe mobile app. Additionally, if you or someone you know has been affected by a bias incident, the following resources are available:
- Support services are available at the Barnes Center at The Arch by calling 315.443.8000.
- To report a bias incident or to receive support, visit the Stop Bias website or call 315.443.3514 or email email@example.com.
- Additional resources are available by contacting the following:
- Office of Equal Opportunity, Inclusion and Resolution Services: 315.443.4018, EqualOpp@syr.edu
- Center for International Services: 315.443.2457, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student Outreach and Retention – Support Services: 315.443.4357, email@example.com
- Multicultural Affairs: 315.443.0228, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Winnick Hillel Center for Jewish Life: 315.422.5082, email@example.com
- LGBTQ Resource Center: 315.443.0228, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Disability Cultural Center: 315.443.0228, email@example.com
- Hendricks Chapel: 315.443.2901, firstname.lastname@example.org