The Department of Public Safety (DPS) is actively investigating a bias incident that occurred shortly before 1 a.m. this morning near the corner of Waverly and University Avenue. A group of students reported being approached by a silver SUV. The occupants reportedly threw an egg that struck one of the students and shouted anti-Semitic language. No injuries were reported and no further information was provided about the occupants, make, model or license plate number.
“Although we have no way of knowing just yet whether the perpetrators are affiliated with our university, one thing is certain, this kind of hate is not welcome in our community. We appreciate the students reporting this incident right away as it gives us a better chance of identifying those responsible,” says Chief Bobby Maldonado.
Since the incident was reported, the following actions have been taken:
- DPS officers met with the impacted individuals to gather as much information as possible;
- DPS officers performed a search of the area;
- DPS officers offered information about resources and services available to support the impacted individuals;
- Camera footage from the area is being reviewed to identify a possible vehicle involved in the incident.
If you have information about this case or others, please call DPS at 315.443.2224. You can even anonymously report non-emergency information to DPS through the Silent Witness tool or the Rave Guardian mobile app.
The University recognizes how these incidents can affect individuals and communities. If you or someone you know has been affected by a bias incident, there are resources available to you:
- Support services are available at the Barnes Center at The Arch by calling 315.443.8000.
- To report a bias incident or to receive support, visit the Stop Bias website or call 315.443.3514 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Additional resources and reporting information is available by contacting:
- Office of Equal Opportunity, Inclusion and Resolution Services: 315.443.4018, EqualOpp@syr.edu
- Center for International Services: 315.443.2457, email@example.com
- Dean of Students Office: 315.443.4357, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office of Multicultural Affairs: 315.443.0228, email@example.com
- LGBTQ Resource Center: 315.443.0228, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Disability Cultural Center: 315.443.0228, email@example.com