The Department of Public Safety is investigating the discovery of flyers that contained language derogatory to Chinese and African American individuals. The flyers, which were first discovered in the afternoon of July 20 in Bird Library, have since been removed.
“These hateful acts have become far too common in today’s society,” says Chief Bobby Maldonado. “My team and I are frustrated and disappointed that this kind of behavior persists. We are doing everything we can to identify the responsible individuals or individuals. I invite anyone who knows anything to reach out to me directly. Enough is enough.”
Since the flyers were first reported, the following actions have been taken:
- DPS officers performed a search of the area;
- Camera footage has been reviewed;
- Witnesses have been interviewed.
If you have information about this case or others, please call DPS at 315.443.2224. You can even anonymously report non-emergency information to DPS through the Silent Witness tool or the Rave Guardian mobile app.
The University recognizes how these incidents can affect individuals and communities. If you or someone you know has been affected by a bias incident, there are resources available to you:
- Support services are available at the Barnes Center at The Arch by calling 315.443.8000.
- To report a bias incident or to receive support, visit the Stop Bias website or call 315.443.3514 or email email@example.com.
- Additional resources and reporting information is available by contacting:
- Office of Equal Opportunity, Inclusion and Resolution Services: 315.443.4018, EqualOpp@syr.edu
- Center for International Services: 315.443.2457, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dean of Students Office: 315.443.4357, email@example.com
- Office of Multicultural Affairs: 315.443.0228, firstname.lastname@example.org
- LGBTQ Resource Center: 315.443.0228, email@example.com
- Disability Cultural Center: 315.443.0228, firstname.lastname@example.org