The Department of Public Safety (DPS) is actively investigating a bias incident that occurred on Einhorn family walk at 2:50 p.m. on Wednesday, May 12.
A group of students, tabling on the Einhorn Family Walk, says an individual, unaffiliated with the University, stopped by the table and made bias comments about the subject of their student group. The students told DPS the conversation and the individual’s erratic behavior made them uncomfortable, enough in fact to report the suspicious encounter.
“We are thankful for the students who called to make us aware of this individual. We quickly escorted the suspicious individual off campus without incident” says Chief Bobby Maldonado. “While Syracuse University is an open campus, we do not stand for any kind of behavior or language that makes members of our community feel unsafe or threatened in any way.”
If you have information about this case or others, please call DPS at 315.443.2224. You can even anonymously report non-emergency information to DPS through the Silent Witness tool or the Rave Guardian mobile app.
The University recognizes how these incidents can affect individuals and communities. If you or someone you know has been affected by a bias incident, there are resources available to you:
- Support services are available at the Barnes Center at The Arch by calling 315.443.8000.
- To report a bias incident or to receive support, visit the Stop Bias website or call 315.443.3514 or email email@example.com.
- Additional resources and reporting information is available by contacting:
- Office of Equal Opportunity, Inclusion and Resolution Services: 315.443.4018, EqualOpp@syr.edu
- Center for International Services: 315.443.2457, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dean of Students Office: 315.443.4357, email@example.com
- Office of Multicultural Affairs: 315.443.0228, firstname.lastname@example.org
- LGBTQ Resource Center: 315.443.0228, email@example.com
- Disability Cultural Center: 315.443.0228, firstname.lastname@example.org