The Department of Public Safety (DPS) is actively investigating a bias incident that occurred on the 500 block of University Place at 11:52 a.m. on Sunday, May 2.
A student reported being called a racial slur by the occupant of a vehicle driving by. At this time, there is no description of the vehicle or the vehicle’s occupants, nor has a license plate number been reported.
“Our team is following every lead to try and solve this case but we need our community’s help,” says Chief Bobby Maldonado. “The more information that the community can share with us, the better. Even the smallest of detail can help us. It could be a partial license plate number or the color of the vehicle. No detail is too small when it comes to our investigative work.”
Since the incident was reported, the following actions have been taken:
- DPS officers met with the impacted individual to gather as much information as possible;
- DPS officers offered information about resources and services available to support the impacted individual;
- Additional witnesses have come forward and have been interviewed by DPS; and
- Camera footage from the area is being reviewed to identify a possible vehicle involved in the incident.
“No member of our community should be subjected to this kind of experience. When these incidents happen, we need anyone with any information to come forward to give us the best chance of finding the person or people responsible,” adds Chief Maldonado.
If you have information about this case or others, please call DPS at 315.443.2224. You can even anonymously report non-emergency information to DPS through the Silent Witness tool or the Rave Guardian mobile app.
The University recognizes how these incidents can affect individuals and communities. If you or someone you know has been affected by a bias incident, there are resources available to you:
- Support services are available at the Barnes Center at The Arch by calling 315.443.8000.
- To report a bias incident or to receive support, visit the Stop Bias website or call 315.443.3514 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Additional resources and reporting information is available by contacting:
- Office of Equal Opportunity, Inclusion and Resolution Services: 315.443.4018, EqualOpp@syr.edu
- Center for International Services: 315.443.2457, email@example.com
- Dean of Students Office: 315.443.4357, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office of Multicultural Affairs: 315.443.0228, email@example.com
- LGBTQ Resource Center: 315.443.0228, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Disability Cultural Center: 315.443.0228, email@example.com