Syracuse University’s Department of Public Safety (DPS) is actively investigating the report of a bias incident that reportedly occurred off campus on Saturday, April 9. The incident occurred near the corner of Lancaster and Euclid avenues. The reporting party says an individual in a moving vehicle shouted anti-LGBTQ+ language. The suspect’s vehicle is described as a red minivan and was last seen traveling east on Euclid Avenue.
DPS is working to identify those responsible and has taken the follow steps at this point in the investigation:
- Connected with the reporting party to extend resources, services and support;
- Conducted interviews with the reporting party, as well as individuals in the area at the time;
- Reviewed security camera footage in the area;
- Engaged the assistance of the Syracuse Police Department;
- Alerted the New York State Police Bias Task Force; and
- Reviewed law enforcement databases for similar calls in attempts to develop leads.
“Regardless of where the incident occurred, our students, faculty, staff and visitors should never be subjected this kind of hateful conduct,” says Craig Stone, associate vice president and DPS Chief. “Our team, as well as our partners on and off campus, is doing everything we can to support the impacted individuals and identify the responsible party. Even the smallest detail or description of the vehicle or individual can help strengthen our investigation. If you or someone you know has information about this incident or others, I encourage you to please come forward.”
Anyone with information about this incident should contact DPS at 315.443.2224. Anonymous tips can be reported to DPS through the Silent Witness tool or the Rave Guardian mobile app. Additionally, if you or someone you know has been affected by a bias incident, the following resources are available:
- Support services are available at the Barnes Center at The Arch by calling 315.443.8000.
- To report a bias incident or to receive support, visit the Stop Bias website or call 315.443.3514 or email email@example.com.
- Additional resources are available by contacting the following:
- Office of Equal Opportunity, Inclusion and Resolution Services: 315.443.4018, EqualOpp@syr.edu
- Center for International Services: 315.443.2457, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student Outreach and Retention – Support Services: 315.443.4357, email@example.com
- Multicultural Affairs: 315.443.0228, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Winnick Hillel Center for Jewish Life: 315.422.5082, email@example.com
- LGBTQ Resource Center: 315.443.0228, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Disability Cultural Center: 315.443.0228, email@example.com
- Hendricks Chapel: 315.443.2901, firstname.lastname@example.org