Syracuse University’s Department of Public Safety (DPS) is actively investigating the discovery of racist graffiti that was found written on a men’s bathroom wall at Slocum Hall. The report was made by a university employee on Wednesday, November 30.
Upon receiving this report, a DPS officer inspected the impacted space in Slocum Hall and met with the employee. Prior to arrival of the DPS officer, the graffiti had been covered over by a marker. Fortunately, DPS was provided with images that were taken beforehand of the writing in question.
“These incidents, while disgusting and abhorrent, are often difficult to investigate due to the location and circumstances. Because this happened in a restroom, there is no video footage or direct witness accounts we can rely on,” says Craig Stone, DPS chief and associate vice president. “Nevertheless, we are doing everything we can to identify the individual or individuals responsible. We ask that anyone who may have information about this incident contact us immediately.”
Anyone with information about this incident should contact DPS at 315.443.2224. Anonymous tips can be reported to DPS through the Silent Witness tool or the Orange Safe mobile app. Additionally, if you or someone you know has been affected by a bias incident, the following resources are available:
- Support services are available at the Barnes Center at The Arch by calling 315.443.8000.
- To report a bias incident or to receive support, visit the Stop Bias website or call 315.443.3514 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Additional resources are available by contacting the following:
- Office of Equal Opportunity, Inclusion and Resolution Services: 315.443.4018, EqualOpp@syr.edu
- Center for International Services: 315.443.2457, email@example.com
- Student Outreach and Retention – Support Services: 315.443.4357, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Multicultural Affairs: 315.443.0228, email@example.com
- Winnick Hillel Center for Jewish Life: 315.422.5082, firstname.lastname@example.org
- LGBTQ Resource Center: 315.443.0228, email@example.com
- Disability Cultural Center: 315.443.0228, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hendricks Chapel: 315.443.2901, email@example.com