Safety Escort Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. When does the Department of Public Safety (DPS) provide safety escorts?
The first resource for safe student transportation on campus is the Centro bus system. You should familiarize yourself with the bus schedules and plan your activities around the schedule. When the buses and University shuttle services are not available, DPS staff will provide a walking or shuttle safety escort to students, faculty, and staff from on‐campus or near‐campus locations to another on‐campus location, or if necessary, from on campus to your near‐campus residence.
The safety escort service is not a commuter ride service. These escorts are solely for your safety and not for convenience.
2. How long will I have to wait for the person escorting me to arrive?
If you are in a safe location (such as an on‐campus building or residence), DPS will usually respond within 10 to 15 minutes, but you may have to wait for up to 45 minutes because the escort may be assisting other students. Additionally, the shuttles may be delayed by traffic or weather conditions. If you are in an unsafe situation or a dark/potentially unsafe place, a DPS escort will try to get to you as soon as possible.
3. If I am walking with three or more friends, am I safe?
Walking in groups of three or more in well‐traveled, well‐lit areas should pose no problems. We have found that, while the chances of being the victim of a crime are actually very low, most street crime incidents occur at night, in poorly‐lit areas, and involve students walking alone or with only one other person.
4. What other safety escort services are available?
DPS offers two types of escorts:
- Walking escorts will be provided by individuals wearing a bright orange vest/jacket to students, faculty, and staff to and from on and near off campus locations. When they are not providing an escort, they will be strategically located along Euclid Avenue, as well as Walnut Park and Marshall Street. The Walking Escort program operates daily from 10:30 p.m. to 3:30 a.m. throughout the academic year.
- The Shuttle Escort Service operates daily throughout the academic year by DPS Community Service Officers. The shuttle runs at the following times: Sunday through Thursday: 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. and Friday and Saturday: 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
5. How can I contact DPS for a safety escort?
If you need a safety escort directly from your location, call 315.443.SAFE (7233).