Get Ready for Winter Weather Hazards
In the theme of preparedness and a “Weather Ready Campus,” it is important to be informed about weather conditions as the seasons change.
Do you know the difference between a Winter Storm Watch, Winter Storm Warning and a Winter Weather Advisory?
- When a warning is issued: Take Action!
- When a watch is issued: Get Prepared!
- When an advisory is issued: Take Precautions!
Frigid temperatures, heavy snow, icy roads, strong winds, flooding and more can make winter particularly dangerous. For additional winter weather resources, please visit the National Weather Service’s (NWS) website at: https://www.weather.gov/safety/winter
The University remains open and observes its schedules in most weather conditions, unless the determination is made that conditions warrant cancellation of classes. In the event of class cancellation, dining halls and most campus services remain operational for residential students. In the event of extreme weather emergency conditions, instructions will be communicated to the University community.
In the event of inclement weather:
1. Stay informed – listen and watch for advisories/alerts via:
- via campus email;
- via text message;
- via a “crawl” on campus TV monitors and University websites;
- on Twitter: @SUCampus, @SyracuseUNews, and @SyracuseDPS;
- on Facebook: @SUCampus, @SyracuseUniversityNews, and @SyracuseDPS;
- on news.syr.edu and syracuse.edu; and
- via Syracuse University public radio station WAER-FM/88.3 and other local media outlets.
2. To report locations in need of snow clearing, please call 315.443.4984. Report any other hazardous conditions to Physical Plant at 315.443.1234 or the Department of Public Safety at 315.443.2224.