The Syracuse University Department of Public Safety (DPS) is proud to launch a community police academy for our students, faculty and staff. The community police academy is a free four-week program designed to give eligible community members an idea of what it’s like to protect and serve our campus community.
Each session consists of weekly classes at Lyman Hall where participants will discuss DPS programs, policies and procedures. The comprehensive instruction includes open discussion and scenario-based role playing.
Graduates will learn more about how DPS operates and upon completion will be able to share insights with their friends and colleagues.
Who May Attend
The community police academy (CPA) is open to current students, faculty and staff members interested in learning about the University’s policing practices. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age, a member of the Syracuse University community and pass a background check. Please do not apply if you have been charged with or convicted of a felony.
The DPS has a unique approach to law enforcement including education and community interaction. The community police academy is an open forum for officers and community members to interact and engage in an educational environment promoting positive communication and cultivating new ideas and methods in working together. The course will provide a unique perspective into the daily activities and the decision-making process of DPS campus peace officers.
Responsibilities of Participants
- Participants are expected to comply with New York State laws, all pertinent University rules and regulations and all policies, rules and regulations of the Department of Public Safety. It is the responsibility of the participant to ascertain and comply with these requirements.
- Participants are expected to conduct themselves in a manner that will reflect credit to themselves, the University and the agent/organization. This includes personal appearance.
- Materials will be provided by DPS.
- Participants must be 18 years of age and consent to a background check.
Class Dates and Times
The Spring 2023 academy will be held from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. in Lyman Hall, Room 126 on the following dates:
- Wednesday, Feb. 15
- Wednesday, Feb. 22
- Wednesday, Mar. 1
- Wednesday, Mar. 8
- Participants should plan to attend all dates listed per session.
- Classroom space is very limited.
- There are no fees associated to attend this program.
- Classroom Lecture: Classroom lecture will include presentations, case studies and discussions about police procedures by members of the University Police who specialize in the topic of discussion.
- Practical Application: Participants will engage in scenarios where they will simulate a response to a given situation. An after-action review will be conducted with the participants after completion of each practical scenario.
Upon completion of the four week program, we will hold a graduation ceremony where graduates will receive a certificate of completion.
The Spring 2023 academy has reached capacity. Our next CPA will kick off during the Fall 2023 semester. Follow @SyracuseDPS for more updates.