The Department of Public Safety (DPS) and the Syracuse Police Department (SPD) are investigating reports of burglaries off-campus in the neighborhood east of campus.
As part of our work to prevent burglaries and to identify those responsible for past burglaries, DPS and SPD are going door to door distributing door hangers with safety related information. We ask our community members, particularly those living in adjacent off-campus neighborhoods, to remain alert for suspicious activity. Burglars are looking for unlocked windows and doors as a mean to enter properties to steal items. So please, always secure your belongings and residence before you leave or before you go to sleep at night.
In addition to locking your doors and windows, we encourage you to:
• Avoid leaving your keys out in the open.
• Mark/engrave all items of value and keep a record of them, including serial numbers.
• Not to leave credit cards, blank checks, or other valuables readily accessible; these can be taken and used by a thief before you know they are gone.
• Make your house look occupied; buy a timer that automatically turns on interior and exterior lights at a predetermined time, or when there is motion.
• Ensure your outdoor lighting is working and sufficiently bright.
• Lock sliding glass doors and place a wooden dowel or metal bar in the track of the door.
• Not to leave any valuable items near windows. Take pictures of anything valuable and ensure that you have installed tracking software and documented the serial numbers of all electronic devices.
If you observe anything suspicious, for on-campus, please call DPS at 315.443.2224 or use the Orange Safe app or for off-campus, call the Syracuse Police Department at 315.442.5111.