The Department of Public Safety (DPS) is investigating several complaints that we want to make the community aware of. First, DPS is investigating a group of young boys aggressively and physically harassing members of the campus community. The boys are described as 12-16 years of age and have been observed walking or lingering around the Einhorn Family Walk and the Schine Student Center, near the West Campus Apartments and on South Crouse Avenue.
Additionally, DPS is also investigating reports of a suspicious vehicle, whose occupants shout out the windows, verbally harassing pedestrians as they pass by with hate and bias speech. The vehicle in question is a black Nissan Rouge with gold New York license plates. The occupants are described as four college-aged males.
“Our investigations team has been hard at work meeting with witnesses and reviewing camera footage from the incidents above; we ask that anyone with information to please come forward” shared Chief Bobby Maldonado. “Please make sure you are aware of your surroundings and if you are approached by anyone consistent with the description or if you see this vehicle, to not engage these individuals and call DPS immediately” he added.
Should you have any information or knowledge regarding these incidents or others, contact the DPS at 315.443.2224. If you would like to anonymously report NON-EMERGENCY information for DPS, you can use the Silent Witness tool or via the Rave Guardian app.
The University recognizes how these incidents can affect individuals and communities. If you or someone you know has been affected by a bias incident, there are resources available to you:
- Support services are available at the Barnes Center at The Arch by calling 315.443.8000.
- To report a bias incident or to receive support, visit the Stop Bias website or call 315.443.3514 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Additional resources and reporting information is available by contacting:
- Office of Equal Opportunity, Inclusion and Resolution Services: 315.443.4018, EqualOpp@syr.edu
- Center for International Services: 315.443.2457, email@example.com
- Dean of Students Office: 315.443.4357, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office of Multicultural Affairs: 315.443.0228, email@example.com
- LGBTQ Resource Center: 315.443.0228, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Disability Cultural Center: 315.443.0228, email@example.com
This public safety information is issued for your safety in compliance with the Jeanne Clery Act.