On Saturday, November 19, 2022, at approximately 5:30 a.m., the Department of Public Safety (DPS) and the Syracuse Police Department (SPD) responded to an occupied burglary in progress complaint at Small Road.
Upon arrival, DPS and SPD officers encountered two perpetrators, who were subsequently taken into custody without incident. There were no reported injuries. SPD is the lead agency on this case.
DPS asks that community members that are staying in the Syracuse area during the holiday break, particularly those living on South Campus and in adjacent off-campus neighborhoods, to remain alert for suspicious activity. Burglars are looking for open/unlocked windows and doors as a mean to enter properties to steal items. So please, always secure your belongings and residence before you leave or before you go to sleep at night.
In addition to locking your doors and windows, we encourage you to:
• Avoid leaving your keys out in the open.
• Mark/engrave all items of value and keep a record of them, including serial numbers.
• Not to leave credit cards, blank checks, or other valuables readily accessible; these can be taken and used by a thief before you know they are gone.
• Make your house look occupied; buy a timer that automatically turns on interior and exterior lights at a predetermined time, or when there is motion.
• Ensure your outdoor lighting is working and sufficiently bright.
• Lock sliding glass doors and place a wooden dowel or metal bar in the track of the door.
• Not to leave any valuable items near windows. Take pictures of anything valuable and ensure that you have installed tracking software and documented the serial numbers of all electronic devices.
If you observe anything suspicious while on-campus, please call DPS at 315.443.2224 or use the Orange Safe app. For individuals off-campus, please contact the Syracuse Police Department at 315.442.5111. In the event of an emergency, please dial 911.