Syracuse University students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to download Rave Guardian, a free app created by Rave Mobile Safety, which the University already uses to send Orange Alerts via platforms such as email, phone and text, provides a number of safety tools designed to keep you safe. With Rave Guardian, users can stay connected and receive important campus notifications, communicate with campus safety, and gain access to resources needed most.
This app is replacing the LiveSafe app. Please be sure to delete the LiveSafe app and download Rave Guardian in its place.
Features of the App Include:
- Easy Emergency Communication: With a push of a button, you can directly connect to 9-1-1 or DPS in an emergency.
- Guardians and Safety Timers: Access an extra layer of safety when walking alone. As a registered user, you can add friends and family members as “Guardians” and send a text message when you begin an activity—say, a walk home from class or to a friend’s residence hall. You can set a timer with your current location, plus a note of where you are going and when you should arrive; you then can share that journey with your “Guardian,” who can track your progress on a GPS map in real time. In the event you do not make it to your destination and deactivate the timer, your “Guardians” will be immediately alerted.
- Anonymous Tip Reporting and Real-Time Chat: Prevent dangerous situations by submitting a tip—anonymously or associated with your profile—and have real-time chat interactions with a member of the DPS dispatch team. This way, dispatchers and police can get the information they need about suspicious behavior, unsafe situations, or crimes and you can be sure the issue is being reported without drawing attention from those around you. The app allows you to text suspicious activity to DPS, using photos or video.
- Push Notifications: Rave Guardian offers a seamless notification process in the event of an emergency. In extreme circumstances, phone lines may prevent some messages from going through quickly; Rave Guardian’s push notifications allow you to get the message almost instantaneously, even if you don’t have cellular service, such as in the basement of a building. (Wi-Fi access would be necessary.)
- Quick Access to Critical Resources: Beyond being able to contact DPS or 911 with the touch of a button, you can also access important phone numbers and websites for safety and wellness resources—on campus and beyond.
Frequently Asked Questions
The application is available for use by all current Syracuse University students, faculty and staff who are registered with the Orange Alert system.
No. Your privacy is of the utmost importance. You can only be located if you have asked for help. Rave Guardian location information is only enabled when you choose to make an emergency call or when you do not select the "Go Anonymous" feature when submitting tips.
No, DPS does not have the ability to track or monitor the location of the app users. Any voluntary location that is shared will only be available during that specific call or chat session.
Yes, the Safe Walk feature in Rave Guardian is a safety timer. Much like LiveSafe, you can invite friends or family ("Guardians") to watch you virtually walk to your destination. Your "Guardian," will be sent a link and does not need the app to watch you walk safely to your destination.
When using the safety timer, the user will receive a reminder text message 5 minutes before expiring. If it expires, a message immediately goes to your chosen guardian(s) and they can call your cell phone.
You can choose whether to send a tip anonymously each time you send in a text or photo tip. To send text or photo tips anonymously, tap the “Submit Tips” button and turn on the “Go Anonymous” feature at the top of the page before you select your tip type. If you choose to send a tip anonymously, DPS will not be able to see your name, phone number or any other identifying information about you.
Tips submitted are monitored 24/7 by the dispatchers in our Emergency Communications Center. In case DPS requires further information on any tips, dispatchers will follow-up and live chat with the user.
We recommend that you allow notifications from Rave Guardian. This will alert you when your safety timer is about to expire; when you have received a response from DPS during a chat session; or when someone has requested you as a Guardian.
Yes. Rave Mobile Safety (the provider of Rave Guardian) uses the latest in security technologies and processes to ensure that all of your information is kept secure and private. Rave also undergoes regular security audits to ensure the information security of data.
Yes, the Submit Tips feature works whether you are on or off campus; however, if you have an emergency at an off-campus location, you should dial 9-1-1. If you send a tip that is not on campus, the information will be forwarded to the off campus law enforcement agency.
Your profile information is generated from the contact information you enter in the "Orange Alert" section of your MySlice. Be sure to always keep this data as up to date as possible.