Message From Chief Craig Stone

Dear Students, Faculty and Staff:

Today is my first official day as a member of the Syracuse University family. I am grateful for the opportunity to be Orange and look forward to getting to know the students, faculty and staff that make up this special community.

Throughout the interview process, it was obvious that Syracuse University would not be like any of the other institutions at which I served. The spirit and energy are palpable. When I walked the Einhorn Family Walk during my last visit, not only did I encounter so many wonderful people, I also had my first interaction with Otto. Like all of you at that time, masks were still covering our faces, even Otto, but the welcoming feeling and sense of community were vibrant and visible.

As my work gets underway, I will be especially focused on engaging our community, learning about your experiences with and expectations for our Department of Public Safety (DPS), and building relationships that benefit us all. Simultaneously, I plan to continue many of the engagement efforts DPS previously put into place. This includes the monthly email with important and pertinent updates from DPS. This month we are going to highlight the following:

• Spring Residence Reminder
  • PS5 Community Engagement Project
  • Monthly Bias Update

Spring Residence Reminder

Having moved here from Ohio, I understand that one moment we can be experiencing lake effect snow squalls, only to be quickly followed by warmth and sunshine. I have experienced multiple seasons already in just the few days I have been in Syracuse!

That being said, with the return of warmer temperatures, be advised that criminals will be more brazen in their break-in attempts, particularly as more and more folks open their windows and doors for fresh air. Some easy steps to take to keep you and your property safe include:

• Lock your doors and windows, even if you are going to be away for just a short period of time.
  • Hide or lock up your valuables; do not leave them where criminals can easily see them.
  • Remind your roommates to take the same action.
  • Remain vigilant.

For more safety tips, visit dps.syr.edu/crime-prevention/safety-strategies.

PS5 Community Engagement Project

Last month, the Department of Public Safety held its first PlayStation 5 (PS5) game night in the Schine Student Center. I’m told it was a well-attended event that brought students and DPS officers together for an evening of fun. Given that success, DPS is going to host a few more of these game nights this semester. I am looking forward to participating at one of the upcoming events! The schedule is:

• Wednesday, April 6, 4-8 p.m., South Campus Community Center (121 Small Rd, Apt. 8)
  • Wednesday, April 20, 4-8 p.m., Schine Student Center
  • Wednesday, May 4, 4-8 p.m., South Campus Community Center (121 Small Rd, Apt. 8)

This is just one of the fun activities DPS has planned; we welcome your suggestions on other events we can host that allow our officers and our community to get to know each other better. Be sure to mark your calendar and follow us on social media for more information (@SyracuseDPS).

Monthly Bias Update

We have no new updates to share on the status of our investigations. If we do have updates, we will update the chart on our website and share any developments in this monthly email.

As a reminder, it is also never too late to come forward with information. You can call the DPS at 315.443.2224 or submit information anonymously via the Silent Witness tool or the Rave Guardian mobile app. In addition, to report a bias incident or to receive support, visit the STOP Bias website.

In the coming weeks, I plan to schedule a number of coffee and lunch events to get to meet more members of our community. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly to introduce yourself or schedule some time for me to chat with you or your department, organization or group.

Wishing you all the very best as we enter the final weeks of the spring semester!

Sincerely,

Chief Craig Stone
Department of Public Safety