The Department of Public Safety (DPS) initiated a body-worn camera (BWC) pilot program in October 2014, beginning research on BWCs, data management solutions, and best practices and policies; once this phase was completed we publicly announced to the University community that we would be implementing a pilot BWC program effective October 1, 2015.
Since that time we have worked to enhance the BWC program. Objectives of the program include:
- To provide accurate, transparent documentation of public safety contacts with the public, arrests, and critical incidents,
- to improve how information is captured and enhance the accuracy of officer reports,
- to enhance the DPS’s ability to review probable cause for arrest, officer and suspect interaction, and evidence for investigative and prosecutorial purposes,
- to protect officers against false complaints,
- to provide evidence of improper actions, and
- to identify matters to be addressed by future training.
Our goal is a model program utilizing best practices that can be shared with other law enforcement partners, and to continue to improve community relations and professional standards within the department.