The Department of Public Safety works to maintain a safe, secure learning and living environment on the Syracuse University campus and in the surrounding campus areas.
DPS accomplishes this by:
providing a consistent community oriented patrol presence, which can be adjusted and concentrated in specific areas during special events or based upon population volume at specific times of day;
inspecting and maintaining alarm and sprinkler system equipment directly related to the safety and well-being of University building occupants, in compliance with all Federal and New York State requirements;
planning and preparing for emergency situations before they happen in collaboration with offices and departments across campus, and ensuring a smooth response to incidents which do arise.
Our primary objectives are:
- to be proactive in detecting, reporting, and addressing safety and environmental hazards
- to protect life and property and enhance the quality of life in our community
- to proactively inspect and maintain all fire- and life safety-related equipment and systems
- to provide efficient and courteous assistance to the public
- to have a positive impact on the behavior of those in our community
- to be proactive in preventing crime, lawlessness, and disorder
- to fairly and impartially enforce laws, ordinances, and regulations
- to effectively apply our resources to identify and arrest offenders
- to educate our community about personal protection and crime prevention