At the Syracuse University Department of Public Safety (DPS) we are certified New York State Peace Officers. We conduct our own peace officer academy, which is recognized by the Department of Criminal Justice Services.
Our academy is similar to those locally, that train our municipal police partners, but does have subtle differences. Some important items to note from a recruitment perspective:
- We DO NOT require candidates to sign up for and wait to take a civil service test.
- We post all of our open positions on sujobopps.com.
- We have a screening process to help determine a candidate’s suitability for the job.
- There is a physical fitness/wellness component as well, but this too is administered by our department and not a civil service standard.
- We do follow New York State guidelines and have a minimum age of 21 at the time of graduation.
After an extensive interview process, screening and background investigation, our recruits will being their time with a swearing-in ceremony where they are sworn in by the Chief of the Syracuse Police Department (SPD). DPS operates under a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the SPD that outlines both agencies’ responsibilities for investigating alleged crimes and offenses in the University area.
After being sworn in, the recruits will then complete 22 weeks of extensive training which includes both on-hands and in the classroom instruction. Upon graduation, they will then work side by side with a veteran officer to complete 12 weeks of field training.