The predominate type of crime occurring on college campuses is property theft. Syracuse University Department of Public Safety’s annual security report provides tips on how to prevent property theft both on and off-campus:
1. Equip your front door with a peephole and a dead bolt lock.
2. Be sure all windows have secure frames and locks.
3. Report any maintenance deficiencies that may compromise building security to your resident advisor or landlord.
4. Never hide your door key anywhere outside your residence.
5. Lock your door whenever you leave, even if it is only for a short time.
1. Walk in groups of three or more, or contact DPS for a walking escort by calling 315.443.SAFE (7233) or toll-free 1.855.443.7233.
2. Walk only in well-lit areas and avoid shortcuts through poorly lit vacant lots and other deserted places.
3. If you think you are being followed, change direction and head for a well-lit area with other people around.
At All Times
1. Never leave your wallet, purse, or valuables unattended.
2. Immediately report all suspicious persons or activity to DPS.
3. Program DPS’s phone number, 315.443.2224, into your cell phone.
4. Program the DPS Safety Escort phone number, 315.443.SAFE (7233), into your cell phone.
5. If you need to contact DPS in an emergency, but are unable to make a phone call, e-mail or text the Communications Center at email@example.com.