The Department of Public Safety (DPS) and the Syracuse Police Department (SPD) continue to investigate multiple burglaries in off-campus neighborhoods and on South Campus. Five incidents have occurred in the following areas:
• 800 block of Ackerman Avenue
• 700 block of Livingston Avenue
• 700 block of Lancaster Avenue
• 800 block of Clarendon Street
• 1200 block of Madison Street
The following incidents were reported to have occurred between the hours of 12 a.m. to 5 a.m. The suspects are described as two males, approximately 5 feet 5 inches tall, and dressed in dark clothing.
To deter this, DPS and SPD are adding even more patrols in the affected areas through the end of the semester. We ask our community to remain vigilant and be alert for suspicious activity. Always secure your belongings and residence before you leave or before you go to sleep at night. We have not seen any incidents where forced entry occurred; the alleged burglars have entered properties through unlocked windows and doors.
Again, we encourage you to take the following steps:
• Lock all doors and windows.
• Do not leave your car keys out in the open.
• Mark/engrave all items of value and keep a record including serial numbers.
• Do not leave credit cards, blank checks, or other valuables readily accessible; these can be taken and used by a thief before you know they are gone.
• Make your house look occupied; buy a timer that automatically turns on interior and exterior lights at a predetermined time, or when there is motion.
• Be sure your outdoor lighting is working and sufficient.
• Lock sliding glass doors and place a wooden dowel or metal bar in the track of the door.
• Do not leave any valuable items near windows. Take pictures of anything valuable and ensure that you have installed tracking software and documented the serial numbers of all electronic devices.
If you observe anything suspicious, for on-campus, please call DPS at 315.443.2224 or use the Rave Guardian app or for off-campus, call the Syracuse Police Department at 315.442.5111.