Syracuse University students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to download Orange Safe, a free app which provides a number of tools designed to keep you safe. With Orange Safe, users can stay connected and receive important campus notifications, communicate with campus safety, and gain access to resources needed most.
Features of the App Include:
- Easy Emergency Communications: With a push of a button, you can directly connect to 9-1-1 for off-campus emergencies or DPS in an on-campus emergency. Utilize the chat feature to quickly communicate with our team of dispatchers 24/7, 365 days a year.
- Mobile BlueLight: While you are on campus, tap the button to simultaneously send your location to and call the DPS Emergency Communications Center (ECC). The DPS ECC will receiving your location in real-time and talk to you on the phone. If you cannot use the phone feature, you can initiate a chat with the ECC.
- Safe Walk: Send your location in real-time to a friend so they can watch you as you walk to your destination. They’ll watch you and can trigger a call to emergency services if necessary. It is as simple as sending a text message to a family or friend and they will be sent a link used to follow you. Once you reach your destination, you can simply disconnect.
- Tip Reporting: Prevent dangerous situations by submitting a tip—anonymously or associated with your profile—and have real-time chat interactions with a member of the DPS dispatch team. This way, dispatchers and police can get the information they need about suspicious behavior, unsafe situations, or crimes and you can be sure the issue is being reported without drawing attention from those around you. The app allows you to text suspicious activity to DPS, using photos or video.
- Social Escape: Get out of a tough social situation by receiving a call and giving you an excuse to leave. It is as simple as entering your phone number in the app and setting how quickly you want to receive the phone call.
- Be Prepared with Emergency Plans: Do you know what to do in the event of an emergency on campus? Be prepared by reviewing our emergency plans!
- Safety Toolbox: This section includes links to important safety related resources as well as the “I’m OK!” feature which will send your location and a message indicating that you are okay to a recipient of your choosing.
- Push Notifications: Orange Safe offers a seamless notification process in the event of an emergency. In extreme circumstances, phone lines may prevent some messages from going through quickly; Orange Safe’s push notifications allow you to get the message almost instantaneously, even if you don’t have cellular service, such as in the basement of a building. (Wi-Fi access would be necessary.)
- Quick Access to Support Resources: Beyond being able to contact DPS or 911 with the touch of a button, you can also access important phone numbers and websites for safety and wellness resources—on campus and beyond.
Frequently Asked Questions
The application is available for use by all current Syracuse University students, faculty and staff who have a University net ID and password.
No. Your privacy is of the utmost importance. You can only be located if you have asked for help. Orange Safe's location information is only enabled when you choose to make an emergency call or when you use the On Campus BlueLight feature.
No, DPS does not have the ability to track or monitor the location of the app users. Any voluntary location that is shared will only be available during that specific call or chat session.
Yes, the Safe Walk feature in Orange Safe allows you to send your location in real-time to a friend so they can watch you as you walk to your destination! They will watch you and can trigger a call to emergency services if necessary. They do not need the Orange Safe app to watch you. You will be able to send them a link via text.
When using the safety timer, the user will receive a reminder text message 5 minutes before expiring. If it expires, a message immediately goes to your chosen guardian(s) and they can call your cell phone.
Yes, when you "Submit a Tip to DPS," you are not required to enter any of your personal information, just the details of the tip you are submitting. Additionally, when you "Chat with DPS" your conversation is anonymous. When you "Chat with DPS" you will not be able to submit photos or videos like you can when you "Submit a Tip to DPS."
Tips submitted are monitored 24/7 by the dispatchers in our Emergency Communications Center. In case DPS requires further information on any tips, dispatchers will follow-up and live chat with the user. Please do not submit emergency requests through the app, please call us at 315.443.2224.
We recommend that you allow notifications from the Orange Safe app. This will alert you about important safety information.
Yes, the Submit Tips feature works whether you are on or off campus; however, if you have an emergency at an off-campus location, you should dial 9-1-1. If you send a tip that is not on campus, the information will be forwarded to the off campus law enforcement agency.
The Department of Public Safety (DPS) and AppArmor (the app's developer) take user privacy extremely seriously. By default, at no time will this app collect your personal data. However some features may have been modified to collect personal information to better ensure your safety. These features are clearly marked in-app; if it doesn't say so, the feature won't collect personal information. If you don't feel comfortable sending specific information to DPS, avoid using that feature.
If collected, at no time will your information be shared with any third parties.